Based in Kanagawa, Japan
November 4, 2014
Press / Business contact:
Cherrymochi is an independent game studio that aims to bridge Japanese and Western game design. Based near Tokyo, Japan, we are inspired by Japanese pop culture, anime aesthetic and Western adventure games. Our international team members are from 5 different countries and we pool our multicultural experience to make story-focused games for an international audience. Cherrymochi's first game, Tokyo Dark, was released 7 September 2017.
Jon Williams, founder of Cherrymochi, has been designing interactive narratives for over 10 years. In 2008 he worked with Hewlett Packard Pervasive Computing Lab in England to develop mobile GPS and Alternate Reality Games. Since he worked with a number of companies developing digital content including Aardman digital and the Arts Council UK.Founding Cherrymochi
In 2009, Jon moved to Japan looking for inspiration and to hone his artistic skills. After experiencing the Tōhoku earthquake and nuclear disaster in 2011 firsthand, Jon was even more inspired to share his experiences of Japanese culture, and 3 years later founded Cherrymochi.Tokyo Dark
In June 2015 Cherrymochi raised $225,000 via Kickstarter to develop Tokyo Dark. It was later announced that the Square Enix Collective would be publishing the game, and on 7 September 2017, Tokyo Dark was released on Steam for PC.
Tokyo Dark Launch Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Vermillion Gate Award Winner" - BitSummit 4th, 10 July, 2016
- "Magical Presence Award Nominee" - BitSummit 4th, 10 July, 2016
- "Dengeki PlaySation Indies on the Rise Award Nominee" - BitSummit 4th, 10 July, 2016
- "Cherrymochi is a small team that is enthusiastic, knowledgeable and passionate about the game they are making with a strong sense for the art direction, story and gameplay experiences they want to deliver."
- John Lusty, Square Enix Europe Director of Technology, Square Enix Collective
Team & Repeating Collaborators
Design, Writing, Code, 3D Art
Finances, Translation, Localization, Management
Moochirin (Laura Jin)
Character Design, Character Art
Development and Communication Support